With the extra weight I thought it would be sensible to upgrade the brakes. This was limited to replacing the standard front discs with grooved and drilled ones that are supposed to dissipate the heat better. I also fitted Kevlar pads, but these didn’t last as long as I would have expected (only about 24,000 miles): to be honest, I didn’t notice much difference. Likewise the rear brakes didn’t last too long either; new Land Rover ones fitted in Malawi were metal to metal within 8,000 miles.
I should have taken several spare sets of new brake pads, front and rear, because Land Rover ones were expensive in Africa. I only took a few part worn pads as spares that worked as a stop gap until sourcing new ones, but this was a mistake – as Judi reminded me several times!
Be aware that in some areas the African wet soil is akin to setting concrete and when this gets into the brakes acts as a very abrasive substance wearing out pads in a matter of miles, as happened to us in the Tuli Block, Botswana.